This is your video game news brief for August 1st, 2013
- Microsoft’s Games With Gold Games were revealed recently: Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 (including the DLC Case Zero).
- BioShock Infinite has their first DLC: Clash in the Clouds. It is currently available on Steam for $5 and will be available on Xbox Live and the PSN Network later this weel. It is a combat-heavy DLC with new maps for the player to explore.
- Legal difficulties for EA Sports continue as the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on 7/30/2013 that EA’s use of college football players in their NCAA games is not protected by the 1st amendment. This means the players can take EA to court to receive compensation for using their likeness. EA plans on appealing the decision.
- Capcom’s first quarter’s profits fell 37%, only pulling in $8.4 million. The decline in profits is attributed to the company not releasing any AAA games during that quarter.
- According to a report from Digital Foundry, game developers for the PS4 can only use 4.5 GB of the 8 GB available. The other 3.5 GB is reserved for system operation.
- World of Warcraft lost another 600,000 subscribers last quarter, leaving approximately 7.7 million gamers left.
- Zynga is suing the makers of Bang With Friends because of the use of the title “With Friends.” Zynga has a trademarked line of “With Friends” games.
- Nintendo’s posted an $87 million profit last quarter thanks to strong sales of their 3DS.